If you have a Facebook Business Page, and you’ve been using the new “Timeline” for your Facebook Profile page, then you’re a step ahead of the rest. If not, then I strongly suggest you start. Rumor has it that the new Timeline for Facebook Business Pages will automatically switch over by March 30th, 2012.
With the new “Timeline” comes some key things you’ll want to know in order to understand and take full advantage of the changes. Although there are a number of new things you should be aware of, (and I’ll touch on those in future articles), here are five of the more significant visual changes (view screenshot #3 below to help visually identify these areas).
- Admin Panel: Many of the key administrative features now appear at the very top of the Facebook Business Page. Notifications, messages, recent activity, and “Insights” or page statistics are now more easily visible and accessible.
- Welcome Tab/Page: Perhaps one of the most significant changes is that you’ll no longer be able to direct new visitors to a “Welcome” page… or existing followers to a promotional type of message. Simply put… it’s gone. Everyone who visits your Facebook Business Page will arrive on your “Wall” first.
- Cover Photo: This is now your opportunity to capture the attention of your followers and potential followers. This feature is not without some rules and guidelines. First of all, photo specifications for optimum results is 851 x 315 (pixels). Now… what CAN’T you do with your cover photo? There’s nothing to interpret here. Facebook has provided some very specific guidelines. According to Facebook, your cover image cannot contain:
– Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”.
– Contact info such as web address, email, mailing address or other info intended for your Page’s About section.
– References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features.
– Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”.
Covers must not be false, deceptive or misleading, and must not infringe on third parties’ intellectual property. You may not encourage or incentivize people to upload your cover image to their personal timelines.
- Profile Picture: The large profile banner type photo which used to appear on the left is now also gone. It’s been replaced by the photo which now appears on the bottom left corner of the cover photo. With the new design, this is the most logical place for a company logo or some other brand type image. Best size photo will be 180 x 180 (pixels). You’ll find that this will help your image appear correctly alongside any posts and comments you make.
- Tabs, Custom Pages & Apps: The tabs (or links) to photos, videos, notes, custom pages and other apps now appear directly below the profile picture and title of your page. A total of four are displayed at any given time with a total of twelve visible by using the drop-down arrow to the right. (see screenshot #1 below). By using the “Timeline” drop-down button, a more complete list is available (see screenshot #2 below). An important note about “Custom Pages” is that the allowable width has increased from 520 pixels to 810 pixels.
As I said… there are many more changes worth noting and I’ll address these in future articles. I’m also developing a PowerPoint presentation which should prove to be helpful.
For now, if you have any questions or would like to know how to take advantage of the new “Timeline” features, post your question below or contact me for a personal consultation.Pin It